Friday, October 1, 2010

Rabbits Rabbits Rabbits

When I was growing up in Connecticut, my fouth grade teacher's name was Mrs. Fairchild.  She was the first teacher I ever got in trouble with (for talking, imagine that?) and had a beehive hair-don't.  It's still the only beehive I've ever really seen that mirrors the styles of the '60s.  But one thing that I also remember about Mrs. Fairchild was that on the 1st of every month, she would say "Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits" for good luck.  She said if it was the first thing you said on the first day of the month, you'd have good luck all month long.  And here I am, 21 years older, and still saying "rabbits, rabbits, rabbits" on days like today.  Now since there are four children in my household, the first thing I usually utter upon being woken is either "You peed where?" or "Didn't I just feed you?".  However, it won't take long for me to remember and by 8am, I will have at least said it.  May not give me a a whole month of luck, but I got to at least get some good days for trying.  Funny thing is, I've told my kids this story about Mrs. Fairchild over and over, and now I can hear them whisper it to themselves when they wake up.  So thank you Mrs. Fairchild for the memories and helping me create new ones with my kids.  Rabbits, Rabbits, Rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment